Need to Rehome a Horse?
Below is a list of sites to list a horse in need of a home or to find a horse to adopt. A couple of the sites offer free ads to those looking to place a horse, but this does not mean you need to list your horse “for free,” and the MHWC very much advises against doing so. Also, please be sure to include a photo, if possible.
If you are looking to adopt, please also visit our RESCUE page for links to Michigan rescue organizations.
- Dream Horse
- Equine Now
- Equine Hits
- Horse Topia
- New Horse
- Rescue Me!
- MHWC Home2Home Emergency Equine Rescue Page (facebook)
Resources for Law Enforcement Officials:
The Michigan Legislature has designated primary provisions related to cruelty to animals: intentional infliction of pain and suffering and duty to provide care. The intentional infliction of pain and suffering provision carries the most severe penalties for animal cruelty and a violation is automatically a felony. A violation of the duty to provide care provision is initially a misdemeanor, which becomes a felony for a second or subsequent violation. See provisions in detail at MSU’s Animal Legal & Historical Center.
- MDA Licensed Shelter Facilities – Michigan – Listed by County
- Humane Society Organizations – Michigan
- Henneke Body Condition Scoring Chart
- Henneke Body Condition Scoring Chart – video
- Michigan Animal Laws
- 750.50 – Michigan’s standard animal cruelty statute, which includes horses:http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(z3ae2r55dkdehhj4ll530445))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-750-50.pdf
- 750.50b — the felony torture statute, which makes it an automatic felony to knowingly kill, torture, mutilate, maim, or disfigure an animal:http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(z3ae2r55dkdehhj4ll530445))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-750-50b.pdf
- MSU Extension Michigan Hay Seller’s Listing
- Michigan Horse Hay Supplier’s Page
- Michigan Page of the Internet Hay Exchange
- Habitat for Horses
- Homes for Horses Coalition
- HSUS Horse Resource Center
- MSU My Horse University
- Unwanted Horse Coalition
- FAST FACTS about Horses
Educational Guides (Printable)
- Care & Feeding of the Starved Horse
- Guidelines for Feeding Horses
- FAQ for Veterinarians Regarding Equine Cruelty/Neglect
- Henneke Body Condition Score System
- Refeeding Starved Horses